Home > New TV ad
We have changed our name to Power NI
New name, same great company
We have changed our name to Power NI but you can still look forward to the same great local service you’ve come to rely on.
New TV Ad
The commercial was shot in a range of locations throughout Northern Ireland and demonstrates Power NI’s commitment to providing energy to homes, business and farms across the province. We were delighted to be able to use well known local actor Adrian Dunbar as the voice for radio and TV.
Local band ‘The Lowly Knights’ provided the soundtrack
Championing a sound which combines grand-voiced exuberance with a ramshackle folk edge, The Lowly Knights have more than earned their place in Belfast’s strong tradition of literate, folk pop. Gorgeous harmonies, soaring orchestral arrangements, and the kind of melodies that keep you humming for weeks have hooked the hearts of gig-goers and critics alike.
“We were delighted to work with Power NI on their new commercial. It is great that a local company is helping to showcase the talent of local bands, and we wish them all the best with their new campaign”.
Check out our behind the scenes section to see what went into making our TV ad.
Why have we changed our name?
We have changed our name for two reasons:
- European law and
- The sale of our sister organisation, Northern Ireland Electricity (NIE), to another company outside of our Group.
Customers and staff helped us come up with our new name and we hope you agree it clearly says who we are and describes the service we provide
We are the same business and people, with the same customer focus, just with a different name.
When did we change our name?
We started using our new name, Power NI, from 25th July this year but we will also continue to use the NIE Energy logo alongside it for a few months until our new name settles in.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to do anything?
No. There is no need for you to do anything because we are just changing our name.
Are you the same company?
Yes. We are the same company with no change in ownership.
Are your contact details the same?
There is no change to our Contact Centre telephone number. We have new email addresses e.g. email@example.com
but emails sent to NIE Energy email addresses will be redirected to us.
Why have you changed name?
We changed name for two reasons:
1. European law means that energy supply companies (e.g. NIE Energy) and energy network companies (e.g. NIE), which are related, cannot cause confusion in their branding.
2. The sale of our sister organisation, Northern Ireland Electricity (NIE), which owns and operates the electricity network, to another company outside of our Group means that we can no longer have 'NIE' in our name, or use the existing logo.
Direct Debit payments
You do not need to take any action to continue paying by Direct Debit. The only change you will notice is that from later this year NIE Energy/Power NI will appear on your bank/building society statement. You will continue to enjoy the full benefits of the Direct Debit Guarantee, as detailed below.
The Direct Debit Guarantee
- This Guarantee is offered by all Banks and Building Societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits.
- If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit NIE Energy Ltd t/a Power NI will notify you 5 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request NIE Energy Ltd t/a Power NI to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request.
- If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit by NIE Energy Ltd t/a Power NI or your bank or building society you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society.
- If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when NIE Energy Ltd t/a Power NI asks you to.
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us.
Did the creation of this new name cost customers any money?
No. Our new name did not cost customers a penny as we are paying for it.
Does this new name mean you will be offering other energy products e.g. gas?
We have no immediate plans to offer gas, but this new name does give us the flexibility to offer gas in the future. It also works for other new services we launched recently such as insulation and solar water heating installation, as well as boiler servicing.
Who do I pay?
Cheques should be made payable to Power NI (cheques made out to NIE Energy Ltd will still make their way to us). You will notice that from later this year NIE Energy/PowerNI will appear on your bank statement.
Can I continue to use my payment card?
Yes. You can continue to use your existing payment card. New cards will be issued in due course.
Can I still pay in the same place?
Yes, you can continue to pay in exactly the same place as now.
How did you come up with the new name?
Customers and staff, alongside branding experts, helped us choose our new name.
Will the terms and conditions remain the same?
Yes, the terms and conditions remain the same.
Will NIE be changing name?
NIE will continue to provide network services to all electricity users. We understand they have no plans to change name.