Winter Warmers - Electrifying Spicy Fish Stew
If you like spicy, you’re sorted. If you like authentic flavours, you’re in luck. And if you simply like delicious, then this dish is definitely for you.
Winter dinners don’t have to be heavy. Vibrant, fresh, and full of zest this nutritious dish is perfect feel-good food at this time of year – with just the right amount of spice for unforgettable flavour.
Discover daily discounts on almost 1000 brands!
Power NI Perks* is our online rewards scheme offering exclusive discounts on 100s of brands including all the big supermarkets such as ASDA, M&S, Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Iceland.
To redeem an offer, just select it, and you’ll be sent an e-voucher, or you can pre-load money onto a Shopping Card, with the discount taken off at the till. Just sign up and start saving.
7% off Chorizo at M&S
4% off Fresh Cod at Sainsbury’s
3% off Fresh Veg at ASDA
Catch of the Day
Second only to salmon, our main ingredient Cod hogged the top spot for many years as the nation’s favourite fish. It’s full, smooth texture is perfect in a dish like this, which demands big chunky pieces to compliment the chunky veg and beans – tastes and textures which make for a delicious combination.
- Cod is still the most popular white fish for families
- Pollock, Haddock or Coley are good alternatives for this recipe
- Fish is rich in protein; this stew makes it easy to up your intake
- Always try to buy sustainable fish
All set to spice things up?
Watch our step-by-step video or follow the easy instructions below:
- Serves: 4
- Ready in: 45 mins
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 100g chorizo, sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 50ml white wine
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 100g white beans (e.g. cannellini)
- 300ml vegetable stock
- Zest of a quarter a lemon and juice of half a lemon
- 400g cod, chopped into four 100gm pieces
- Basil, torn
1. In a large pot add the oil, diced onion, garlic and celery. Cook on a medium heat for around 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add the chorizo, tomato purée and paprika. Cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the white wine and reduce by half.
For a non-alcoholic version, replace wine with the juice of half a lemon
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and beans. Stir.
5. Just cover the ingredients with vegetable stock and bring to boil.
6. Simmer without a lid on for 15 minutes until reduced. Add the lemon zest and squeeze of lemon juice.
7. Add the cod pieces and cook for 5-7 minutes with the lid on the pot.
8. Season with salt and pepper and add basil.
How about a Healthy Herb Topping? (optional)
- Handful of torn basil - For the best flavour, tear basil rather than chop with a knife
- Handful of chopped parsley
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or crushed
1. Simply chop herbs, add lemon zest and garlic.
2. Mix well and sprinkle on top of the fish.
Serve with some warm crusty bread or a fresh celery stick for dipping!
Expert tips from our seasoned chefs on how to make your dishes extra delish.
- Add rice or pasta for a more filling portion
- Swap cod for chicken for another variation on the dish
* Power NI Perks is available to all Power NI home customers that register online.
Electrifying Spicy Fish Stew
Watch our step-by-step video