Getting your home autumn ready with Home at Rose Cottage
We’ve teamed up with top NI lifestyle influencer, Jill from Home at Rose Cottage, for her top tips on getting your home cosy for autumn.
With the nights starting to draw in and the temperatures dropping, tree leaves are changing colour and the coffee shops are busy creating their pumpkin spiced goodies! In our homes, it's all about changing from summer vibes to warm and cosy living spaces.
Are you looking to get your home organised and ready? It's hard to beat the hygge feeling of snuggling up in a cosy home with your loved ones around - the changing season is the perfect time to get your house set up for this.I’ve been living in my home, Rose Cottage, since 2016 and I love sharing my top home hacks with my followers online. Here’s my top tips for getting organised for Autumn:
1. Deep Clean and De-Clutter
- Make Marie Kondo proud! Why not have an 'autumnal clean' and get rid of anything you no longer need? It's always good to have a big clear out, especially with Christmas coming when I'm sure we will accumulate more stuff! Give the windows a good clean, wipe down the skirting boards, and dust those commonly forgotten areas like the top of cupboards and shelves. These are all jobs which will make your house appear gleaming and ready for a new Season.
Power NI is a proud partner of Age NI. Donate unwanted clothes and shoes by finding your nearest store.
2. Check your home for leaks or drafts
- It's always at this time of year that I realise just how cold my home can get. I like to make sure I am eliminating any unnecessary drafts with heavy curtains/ blinds and draft excluders. Checking all doors are sealed properly, all plugs are clean and draining and fixing any drips will hopefully stop any unexpected plumber visits!
As a Power NI customer, it's handy that there are lots of great insurance deals on their rewards platform - Power NI Perks* - to make sure we're covered for any mishaps this winter such as home insurance from £99 per year with Aviva (and £30 cashback!)^
3. Research your utility deals
- With the change of season, you could find yourselves spending more time at home, using lighting and heating your home. I find September is a great time to get my utilities in order and check I’m getting the best deal. We are Power NI customers and found switching to them not only the best deal on the market, but also completely hassle free. You can do it from the comfort of your sofa, (which is perfect for us busy mummies!) using the app to make managing your energy as easy as possible. Power NI even contact your old supplier and do all the hard work for you! Nothing better at this time of year than saving a few pennies on a household bill to put away for those never-ending Santa lists!
Request a call back from Power NI's locally-based team to help you make sure you're getting the best deal on your electricity.
4. Add cosy home decor
- I love to change the decor in my home with the different seasons. It doesn't have to be expensive; adding a few new cushions, throws and autumnal accessories are all that's needed.
- There is no better feeling than curling up under a throw when the weather is frightful outside! Adding new cushions, throws, even chunky wool blankets to your sofa and bedroom can really transform a space. Turn your bedroom into a warm, restful haven by adding some thicker textiles to the bed. A little vase of flowers on the bedside can also add to the natural warmth of the room. Choose autumnal-themed soft furnishings or go with bright colours to offset the drabness of outside. And instead of buying new cushions, just invest in cushion covers so you can easily switch up the look.
I love the exclusive discounts I get through being a Power NI customer, with Power NI Perks on my favourite brands like Oliver Bonas and The White Company!
5. Set the atmosphere by introducing autumnal scents
- Whether introducing diffusers or scented candles, scents with muskier, woody or spiced notes offer the ideal fragrance update for autumn. Introducing autumnal scents is a great way to give your home a different feel for the change in season. I like to go for more earthy tones to create a homely ambience - think oranges, juniper berries, cinnamon, vanilla and rosehip. It's also nice to consider the effect of naturally scented additions to the home. Simply lighting a fire or log burner will immediately bring the restful, soothing faint scent of wood smoke. Cedar wood is also an excellent choice for its delicate but unmistakable fragrance, which is also tipped to keep wandering spiders at bay!
I love to pick up some natural home scents from TK Max who stock lots of gorgeous soy candles and essential oils. Get 5% off all your home purchases from TK Maxx a preloaded card with Power NI Perks
Love Jill xx
*Power NI Perks offers and brands are subject to change and available to all home energy customers.
^Aviva insurace T&C's apply: 1. The Cashback offer is a reward (the “Cashback”) to be sent to a customer after the successful purchase of a new insurance policy from Aviva Insurance Limited (“Aviva”). 2. Cashback is available to customers who purchase an Aviva Home Insurance policy through Xexec (the “Affiliate”). 3. Cashback is not available to customers who purchase an AvivaPlus Home Insurance policy. 4. The Cashback amount awarded will be at the amount promoted on the Xexec website on the day of purchase. 5. Cashback will only be paid for purchases made from within the United Kingdom by resident of the United Kingdom. 6. You must click the Affiliates link directly to Aviva’s insurance website, generate a new quote and make your purchase immediately. Cashback will not be paid if a saved quote is used. 7. Cashback will only be paid for one Aviva Home Insurance policy purchase per person within a 14-month period. 8. Cashback will be sent to the Affiliate within 120 days of the start date of your policy. 9. Cashback will not be paid if you cancel your policy within 90 days of the policy start date. 10. Cashback will not be paid for renewals. 11. Cashback will not be paid in conjunction with any other offer, voucher or discount code such as, but not limited to, staff, staff friends and family, or student discounts. However, Cashback will be paid to multi-policy discount, multi-quote discount and online discounts. 12. Aviva withhold the right to withdraw this offer. 13. Aviva also reserve the right to change or amend the reward and the structure of the offer at any time. 14. Any decision made by Aviva with regards to this offer is final. 15. Aviva shall not be liable for any failure to comply with its obligations where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. 16. Please also see the Affiliate’s standard terms and conditions for purchase as listed on their site.