Winter Warmers - Powerful Parsnip Soup
Welcome to Winter Warmers, a series of simple and scrumptious recipes brought to you by Power NI and Power NI Perks*.
As the colder weather creeps in and the festive season sneaks up on us, the right kinds of food plays a big part in helping us stay snug and keep our energy levels up.
Over the next few weeks we’ll be featuring one Winter Warmer recipe a week, all guaranteed to taste delicious and fill you full of feel-good.
We’re serving up a Powerful Spiced Parsnip Soup, the perfect introduction to any main meal or just as exquisite on its own.
And it won’t cost much to munch on.
Especially when you use Power NI Perks to get discount on all your ingredients. Sign up and you’ll save money via Cashback or e-Vouchers for use at Sainsbury’s, Tesco, ASDA, M&S and Iceland.
At Power NI, we don’t just save you money on your electricity, we work hard to add value to your everyday.
7% off parsnips at M&S, with Power NI Perks
The Powerful Parsnip
Parsnips are very much the hero veg of winter, a close cousin of the carrot but much sweeter and more pleasant to the taste-buds. Versatile and hearty, this winter root veg screams seasonal scrumptiousness!
Go for small to medium sized parsnips for better taste and texture.
Ready to get cooking?
Follow the easy instructions below:
Here’s how to:
Ready in: 50 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
15g of butter
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic grated or crushed
1 tbsp grated ginger
1750ml of vegetable stock
1 green apple, grated and diced
200ml double cream
Salt & pepper
- Peel and cut the parsnips in half. Brush with vegetable oil and put in an ovenproof dish. Lightly season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven at 200C for 20 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the chopped onion, garlic, ginger and roasted parsnip and cook until everything is soft. This should take 15 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a gentle boil. Add the cream, turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the grated apple to the soup and season well with salt and pepper
- Blend with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the parsley and blend again.
- Garnish with diced apple & sour cream.
Each week, we’ll let you in on a top chef’s secret or two, so you can impress your guests with some culinary know-how, a short cut here or there and some industry hacks. You’ll be Michelin starring in no time!
- To ensure a smooth soup, add the cream when the liquid is on a rolling boil
- For a lower fat version add 200ml of crème fraiche at stage 3, intead of the cream and blitz
- For the garnish, toss apples in lemon juice to stop browning
Garnish with extra-diced apple and a drop of sour cream, accompanied with warm, fresh Wheaten bread
Coming next week…High-energy, slow-cooked Beef Stew.
* Power NI Perks is available to all home energy customers. Brands and offers subject to change.