Are you having payment difficulties?
Help with payment difficulties
- Are you having difficulty paying your electricity bill now?
- Or do you think you may have difficulty in the future?
In either case, we are here to help you. Talk to us as soon as possible by contacting our Customer Helpline 03457 455 455. Our team has lots of experience in supporting customers in similar situations. We'll try to find a payment solution that suits your circumstances and we'll treat you with fairness and consideration at all times.
Our commitment to you
We recognise that from time to time, some customers may have difficulty paying for their electricity. We try to help our customers avoid this situation by offering appropriate advice, but where it arises, we are committed to helping customers overcome temporary or longer-term financial difficulties.
You may be able to reduce your bills by using electricity more efficiently. For more information, please refer to our Efficient Use of Electricity' Code of Practice.
We will take the following steps to help you
- Our staff are trained to adopt a positive, caring, and helpful attitude. They can offer advice and are trained to identify customers who may be finding it difficult to pay their bill.
- We will listen carefully to understand the problem and establish all the facts.
- Discuss the payment options available and try to find a solution that suits your circumstances, and we’ll treat you with fairness and consideration.
- We will monitor your agreed payment plan and would encourage you to contact us if you experience difficulties or default with the payment arrangement.
- If necessary, we may refer you to your local advice centre, to help reach a solution.
- We offer a scheme that is designed to help vulnerable customers maximise their incomes and may recommend a referral. These advisors can provide:
- Energy Efficiency advice
- Benefit entitlement check
- Budget planning
- Referrals to appropriate schemes such as free insulation
- We can assure you that we will take all reasonable steps to agree a suitable payment arrangement to prevent us having to disconnect the supply.
What you can do to help us:
- Contact us immediately on our Customer Helpline 03457 455 455, to make us aware of any short or long term difficulties you may have.
- Be open and honest about your situation and your ability to pay for your electricity.
Remember – don’t delay! The sooner you get in touch, the sooner we can help.
If we have been made aware your electricity is obtained from a non-domestic supply, for example a flat above a commercial premises, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure you are not disconnected inappropriately as a result of the commercial premises no longer receiving electricity.
This may require you requesting metering work to be completed by Northern Ireland Electricity Networks.
Take independent advice
If you have any concerns about approaching Power NI about your payment difficulties, we suggest you contact your local Citizens Advice or Independent Advice NI Agency. They may be able to help.
Contact information for these organisations are available on our website.
Alternatively, call our Customer Helpline 03457 455 455. You can also check your benefit entitlement using the NI Direct Make the Call Service.
Contact details for these organisations are available on our website. Alternatively, call our Customer Helpline on 03457 455 455.
Phone lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm (excluding public holidays).
When you register as a customer of Power NI you agree to take and pay for electricity under our terms and conditions. View Power NI terms and conditions.
The Consumer Council
If you are unhappy with the level of repayment, we would ask you to contact us to see what can be done. If we are unable to come to satisfactory level of repayment, you can contact the Consumer Council. This is a free and independent body.
Floor 3, Seatem House, 28-32 Alfred Street, Belfast, BT2 8EN
Call: 0800 121 6022
Email: [email protected]