Winter Warmers - Perky Veggie Curry
If you want good food fast, you’ve come to the right place. This week, we're cooking up a vivacious and delicious vegetarian option for you: Lentil and Butternut Squash Curry.
Whilst it’s the most wonderful time of the year, it’s also one of the busiest. So, eating well and constantly thinking of different dishes to make can be tricky.
And that’s where we come in! As well as saving you time finding exciting new, ‘easy to do’ meal solutions, we also save you money on all the ingredients you’ll need to create it.
Just sign up to Power NI Perks and you’ll get discount off the lot at Sainsbury’s, Tesco, ASDA, M&S and Iceland, and 100s more brands, using simple e-vouchers, cash back or top up shopping cards.
5% off Sweet Potatoes at Sainsbury’s (Shopping Card)
4% off lentils at Tesco
7% off Butternut Squash at M&S
Quick Hack: To speed things up, buy pre diced butternut squash
The word ‘curry’ means ‘spiced sauce’. This full flavoured favourite is the number one dish in the UK, with Bradford crowned the Curry Capital for the past few years!
Ready to get cooking?
Watch our step-by-step video or follow the easy instructions below:
- Serves 4
- Ready in: 45 mins
- Prep time: 10-15 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tbsp of ginger, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
- 100g dried red split lentils, washed
- 300g butternut squash, chunky dices
- 300g sweet potato, diced (about two)
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and pepper
1. In a large cooking pot, dry-cook the mustard, cumin and coriander seeds on a medium to high heat, until they start to pop.
2. Add the oil into the spices.
3. Add onion, chilli, ginger, and garlic. Cook for around 5 minutes, until soft.
4. Add the lentils, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
5. Add the vegetable stock, tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer for 35 minutes with the lid on until everything is cooked.
6. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped coriander.
7. Serve with sour cream or natural yoghurt and dig in!
Show off your culinary skills with a few hot tips and short cuts from the experts at Forestside Cookery School:
- For extra warmth to your curry, add the seeds from the chilli.
- Wash the lentils in cold water just before you add them to the curry to avoid them going sticky.
- Cutting the butternut squash and sweet potato into chunky pieces means they don’t disintegrate.
- To add flavour for meat eaters, just add chicken or prawns.
* Power NI Perks is available to all Power NI home customers that register online.
Perky Veggie Curry
Watch our step-by-step video